This online Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) course provides the foundation for starting your journey toward FEES competency. Taught by a team of energetic and experienced clinicians who still carry an active caseload, this course is both informative and fun. This course consists of video presentations, images and video clips from FEES exams, and relevant research articles to support learning. Course instructors will hold intermittent web chats for Q and A for participants in this course. Course instructors have been deemed competent for supervision and training in FEES by board certified Otolaryngologists.
Throughout this course we infuse citations from other research. In each section, we have included access to papers that were open access or that we had permission to share for you to read.. Also, we provided links to other resources that you can look over to enhance your understanding where appropriate. Finally, we have included handouts throughout this course that you can download.
Included in this course
- A review of recent research regarding instrumental swallowing assessments, specifically FEES
- A review of the nasal, pharyngeal, and laryngeal anatomy, including normal and abnormal variants
- A review of normal swallowing in adults and geriatrics
- Information is provided on advocating for instrumentals, developing a FEES program, and incorporating FEES into clinical practice
- A FEES protocol including anatomy/physiology assessment, bolus trials, and intervention application
- An overview of rating scales available for use with FEES
- A review of clips from recorded FEES exams to allow the participants to begin to understand FEES interpretation
Following this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss research supporting use of FEES.
- Label swallowing anatomy from a superior view.
- Identify normal and abnormal swallowing physiology on FEES.
- Describe rating scales that can be used with FEES.
- Outline a FEES protocol, incorporating an Anatomy and Physiology Assessment.
Time Ordered Agenda
- 00:00: Video 1: Introduction to FEES Part 1: Purpose of FEES, The SLP's Role, FEES
Training, FEES Equipment
- 00:20: Video 2: Purpose of FEES, The SLP's Role, FEES Training, FEES Equipment
- 01:44: Anatomy Video, Read Article 1, Take Quiz
- 02:06: Video 3: The Endoscopic View, FEES Guidelines/Protocols
- 02:44: Read Article 2 and Article 3, Take Quiz
- 04:33: Video 4: Introduction to FEES Part 4: Scope Positioning During FEES, Normal
- 05:01: Video 5: Introduction to FEES Part 5: Advocating for Instrumentals, Making
Diagnostic Decision, and Starting a FEES Program
- 05:39: Read Article 4 and Article 5, Take Quiz
- 08:26: Video 6: Introduction to FEES Part 6: Identifying Dysphagia with FEES
- 09:18 Read Article 6 and Article 8. (Article 7 is optional). Take Quiz
- 11:28: Video 7: Introduction to FEES Part 7: Use of Rating Scales, Intervention
- 11:53: Read Article 9, Article 10, Article 11, and Article 12, Take Quiz
- 15:00: Complete Post Test
Following this course
Hands-on supervision is essential in becoming competent in FEES. We offer live, in person courses where we provide a more in depth look at FEES interpretation and offer hands-on supervision. Our hands-on training provides a focus on obtaining optimal view of the larynx while keeping in mind the ergonomics of the endoscopist. It is essential to check with your state and your facility to determine requirements for FEES competency. Following this Into Course, you are eligible for discounted tuition for a CSP hands-on FEES Training Course.
Successful participation in this course includes completion of the post-test with a score of 80% or higher, then participants will automatically receive a course completion certificate. You will have access to the course for 365 days after registration.
This course is offered for 15 Professional Development Hours. We can report your participation to ASHA if you choose for 1.5 ASHA CEUs, just be sure to include your ASHA number when you register. If you do not want your participation reported to ASHA, you have the option to decline on the course registration page.
No refunds for self-study courses.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call 877-390-1887.
Jennifer Barnett completed her undergraduate and graduate education at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, graduating in 2007. She is currently an owner of Mobile FEES, LLC providing mobile endoscopic swallow studies in the Midwest. She has also received multiple ACE continuing education awards. Jennifer Barnett receives financial compensation from Carolina Speech Pathology and Mobile FEES, LLC. She has no non-financial relationships to disclose.
Vanessa Peregrim Lauf received her Masters degree from Loyola University in 2006 and her BCS-S in 2017. She provides mobile FEES to the Maryland/DC/VA territory for Carolina Speech Pathology and also serves as the Clinical Lead. Prior to joining CSP in 2016, Vanessa worked at University of Maryland Medical Center in the acute care and outpatient setting with adults and pediatrics. She has presented posters and lectures at ASHA and Maryland State Association Conferences and has taught Ethics at the graduate level. She currently serves as adjunct faculty at Loyola University of MD. Instructor Disclosure: Ms. Lauf has the following financial relationship to disclose: she is a salaried employee of Carolina Speech Pathology. She also receives compensation for teaching at Loyola. Ms. Lauf has no non-financial relationships to disclose
Selena Reece received her Master’s degree from University of North Carolina at Chapel in 2003. She has worked in acute care, outpatient, and inpatient rehabilitation settings. She currently serves as the Director of Educational Resources for Carolina Speech Pathology, while carrying an active caseload providing onsite FEES services. She is a Board Certified Specialist in Swallowing and an ACE continuing education award recipient. Selena has lectured on FEES and adult dysphagia throughout the United States and was featured on Swallow Your Pride Podcast, Episodes 18 and 162. Selena volunteers on committees for ASHA and the American Board of Swallow and Swallowing Disorders. She currently serves on the FEES Advisory Board for Speech Therapy Cambodia, on ASHA's Intersections Advisory Group, and the ABSSD's Corporate Partner Committee. She has been deemed competent for supervision and training in FEES by board certified Otolaryngologist, Dr. Gregory Postma. Disclosures: Ms. Reece has the following financial relationships to disclose. She is a salaried employee of Carolina Speech Pathology. Ms. Reece has no non-financial relationship to disclose.